NOTE: On-Going Services require current active participation in at least one other Moneytalk program working toward becoming financially stable.
Exceptions are being made due to COVID-19 until further notice.
The Vehicle Assistance service is designed to help ensure clients have reliable safe transportation to get to work, school, medical appointments, pharmacy, grocery store, and more.
If clients cannot get to work, they cannot earn the money needed to pay for housing, utilities, groceries, medical care, or any other need. This can lead to homelessness, mental illness, poor health, and more.
Categories of Assistance Available:
- Financial support through a payment plan, discounted services, donated parts, and financial assistance.
- Financial assistance with insurance, gas, etc.
- Safety related items such as car seat, jumper cables, etc.
- Donated vehicles (We cannot yet accept donated vehicles as we must have our own space to get the required dealer’s license. But, we can put you on a wait list.)
- Transportation for those without access to a vehicle or other ride share services
Describe the Process:
This is a high-level description of the process. The details may vary depending on your situation.
- Client will let Moneytalk or the automotive repair shop know that they need assistance with the cost of their vehicle repairs.
- The Vehicle Assistance Application needs completed. The application can be completed by the client or the automotive repair shop as appropriate.
- Client will be contacted by a Moneytalk financial coach to gather more information and assess the need.
- The automotive repair shop will check over the vehicle, including the specific needs requested.
- Once the coaching call has been completed and the vehicle inspected, Moneytalk and the automotive repair shop will get together to approve or decline the application. This includes determining the repairability of the vehicle and the amount/types of assistance available.
- If approved, the automobile will be repaired.
- If approved, client must participate in financial coaching and other financial literacy opportunities. Moneytalk strives to be a hand-up, not a hand-out. If application was declined, client may still choose to participate in financial coaching.
- Once vehicle is repaired, the client will pay their portion or initial payment on the payment plan. If a payment plan is needed to help pay for the repair, the online or PDF copy of the form must be completed. Client must continue to participate in financial coaching through the completion of the payment plan.
- Automotive repair shop will complete a Vehicle Repair Summary form to help document how this program was used to provide vehicle assistance.
- Certified mechanics may volunteer to assist with the safety repairs of the donated vehicle.
- Provide tow service for vehicles that are not drivable.
- Assist clients with a ride to or from work while their vehicle is being repaired.
Donor, Partner, & Sponsorship Opportunities:
- Provide needed parts at reduced cost
- Provide needed repair work at reduced cost
- Funds to help pay costs associated to parts and repairs
- Infant and child car seats (must not be past their expiration date, never been in an accident)
- Emergency supplies and tools to be maintained in a vehicle – jumper cables, glass break, seatbelt cutting tool, flashlight, emergency blanket, road hazard lights, etc.
- Provide gift cards for gas, toward repair costs, or to be used to help with auto insurance costs
- Provide tow service for vehicles that are not drivable
- Donate a vehicle
Financial Support Includes:
- Moneytalk comprehensive vehicle assistance
- Shawnee Vehicle Assistance Fund for residents of Shawnee, KS
Participating Automotive Repair Shops:
Christian Brothers Automotive – Barry Road
4200 NW Barry Rd
Kansas City, MO 64154
- Logan Snow
- Scott Snow
Christian Brothers Automotive – Independence
19600 E Hwy 40
Independence, MO 64055
- Josh Holman
- Tim Porter
Christian Brothers Automotive – Olathe
13770 W 135th St
Olathe, KS 66062
- Trevor Sprague
- Steve Schramm
Christian Brothers Automotive – Shawnee
22240 Midland Dr
Shawnee, KS 66226
- Alex Johnson
- Tammie Green