Guided - Teach Your Children to Budget
Parents Teach Your Children How to Budget workshop includes the following skills depending on the length of the workshop:
- Benefits of creating a budgeting
- Potential budget formats and how to create a format that works for you
- How to get started if you have never created a budget before
- What to do if your income is inconsistent (commission, tips, etc)
- How to prioritize your budget expenses, including separating needs and wants
- Best practices for what to do when you with extra money such as coming in under budget, making more tips than normal, receiving a gift, overtime pay, etc
- Cash Flow Planning
- How to determine when you will have the cash to pay the expense
- How to determine how much to save from each paycheck for larger bills such as rent or mortgage
- Best practices and Strategies for how to stick to your budget
- Workshop includes several activities to do with your child to help them understand the value of money, how their choices can really make a difference, and practice budgeting.
Both the parent and child attend this workshop together. This is a guided opportunity helping parents teach their children budgeting skills.
- Prior to the workshop, volunteers can help with prepping materials and supplies for the workshop.
- During the workshop, volunteers are needed to help with the workshop activity.
Donor & Sponsorship Opportunities:
- Printing students worksheets and workbooks
- Donation of candy used in activity – Starburst, Tootsie Roll Minis, Jolly Ranchers, M&M’s plain, and Skittles.
- Donation of snack size and quart size Ziploc bags to hold the candy paycheck pieces.
- Funding to purchase paper, toner, Ziploc bags, and candies for workshops
Opportunities to help your clients and employees:
- Offer a fee waiver, reduced interest loan rate, or other benefit for clients who complete financial workshops or coaching
- Host a workshop at your location for new or youth account holders
- Host a Lunch N Learn, 1/2 day, or full day workshop
- Employee Benefits can be offered to help cover cost of financial workshops and coaching.